In 2015 the Friends of Ilsley Library . . .
…held 11 very successful used book sales, raising more than $5,800 in total.
…gave $6,850 to sponsor programs for young people and $32,400 for adult programs.
…continued the Friends Assistance program (for those outside Middlebury who cannot afford the full non-resident fee).
…provided Addison County Readers (the Imagination Library books for preschoolers) $2,500.
…sponsored the First Wednesday Talks ($2,900), bringing world-class humanities scholars to the library to speak on a variety of interesting topics.
…held receptions for volunteers and library staff.
For 2016 we are on track to increase our support of some of these programs.
The Friends are sponsors of the First Wednesdays Lecture Series, organized through the Vermont Humanities Council. Lectures are free of charge and are held on the first Wednesday of the month, October through May. Unless otherwise noted, these events take place in the Ilsley Public Library meeting room at 7 PM. The schedule is available here.
Addison County Readers
The Friends are proud to contribute to the funding of Addison County Readers, an organization that brings monthly mail delivery of a new, free, book to every child in Addison County between the ages of 0 and 5 years who is registered for the program.
Contributions to Adult Programming
The Friends of the Ilsley Library facilitates the purchase of multiple copies of books for periodic discussion series; art materials and software.
- Ukelele and Bridge classes (and cost of ukeleles)
- Seedstarting and Berry Growing Workshop supplies
- Paid fees to speakers Archer Mayor and Ted Conover
Contributions to Young People’s Programming
407 PROGRAMS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE INCLUDING:
- Special Children’s Programs with outside instructors, program leaders and performers
- Young People’s Media Lab (with MCTC)
- Summer Reading Program with book bike outreach, incentives and workshops – marble run; clay charms; tie-dye
- Children’s Music and Movement, Yoga and More
- Children’s Story Time for infants and Preschoolers with craft materials and manipulatives
- Summer Fridays’ Gaming for Teens and Tweens
- Daycare Outreach
- Author events and book discussion for young people
- Gingerbread House Program
- Happy Noon-Year Celebration